It is important to do regular maintenance on your bicycle, and it's even more important if you're bringing your bike out for the first spring ride. Here are a few tips that will help keep your bike in tip top condition:
- Always use clean water and rags to wash your bike
- Have several different brushes on hand to clean those hard to reach places
- Once or twice a year check the spokes, bearing surfaces, derailleurs, and cable systems
- Lubricate with a bicycle oil or grease (do not over lubricate and wipe off excess)
- Tighten all bolts, nuts, and screws
- Use a bike repair stand when working on your bike to prevent damages such as, scuffing, handlebar damage, or a hard fall
Also, to ensure a safe ride, it is a good idea to do a pre-ride inspection. Check the air pressure, brakes, and chains before each ride.